Special education

Committee on Preschool special education  


CPSE/CSE Chairperson

Susan O’Connell, soconnell@pvcsd.org

(845) 528-8130 extension 1315

Putnam County

Department of Health

Westchester County

Department of Health


What should you do if you feel your child needs special education?


EI to CPSE:  If your three-year-old child received services from the Early Intervention Program and is in need of special education services, he or she will need to transition (move) from the Early Intervention Program into the preschool special education program. The Early Intervention official from your county must give written notice to the CPSE in your local school district that your child may be transitioning from the Early Intervention Program. With your consent, a transition plan must be developed no later than three months before your child’s third birthday.  Please call (845) 528-8130 extension 1317 or 1315 if you have additional questions.

Preschool:  If you have a preschool child and you have noticed that your child is not developing skills such as walking, talking or playing like other young children, you may want to talk to your family doctor. He or she may be able to reassure you that children develop at different rates and your child is within the normal developmental scales. If, however, the doctor is concerned, or you are still not comfortable with your child’s progress, you may make a referral to your school district’s Committee on Preschool Special Education (CPSE).  Please call (845) 528-8130 extension 1317 or 1315.   Click here for CPSE Registration Forms.

For A Parent’s Guide to Special Education in 
New York State, click here.http://www.p12.nysed.gov/specialed/publications/policy/parentguide.htmhttp://www.p12.nysed.gov/specialed/publications/policy/parentguide.htmhttp://www.p12.nysed.gov/specialed/publications/policy/parentguide.htmshapeimage_3_link_0shapeimage_3_link_1